Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Book Review- 9 Letters by Blake Austin

9 Letters

by Blake Austin

Luke Cawley is a broken man. After his wife’s tragic death, he lost everything that mattered in the world. Now, his life is filled with hard days, harder nights, and a steady stream of alcohol and the wrong kind of women. Nothing helps. 

Until the letters arrive on Luke’s doorstep. 

Nine envelopes. Nine messages. Nine chances to find his way back. 

Rae Goode is looking for the real thing. After fighting her way out of a string of bad relationships, she’s ready for something different–something true. 
She meets Luke while piecing her life together, and right away she can tell that he’s different. Drawn together by fate and the desire to heal, Rae and Luke discover new ways to mend their broken hearts–one letter at a time. 

Discover Blake Austin’s debut novel of loss, redemption, and ever-enduring love.

                                       Favorite Quotes:

Nobody should die in springtime,but least of all someone so alive.

then I laid out the 9 letters. I didn't 
know what was in them, but I knew I didn't
want to rush. I knew, somehow, this was a 
moment to treasure, a moment to linger on.

you and I let our souls come together and,well, I think I know you better than I know myself.

It was like falling into a night sky in the middle of the dessert, nothing existing outside of us

Her smell wouldn't last forever. It was like an echo of her voice, and it would soon fade to nothing.

                                       My Review:

Losing your wife is like losing your whole future, present and half your past.

     When I read the blurb for 9 Letters I knew that this was one story I wanted to read and I would need a box of tissues close by. I never expected it to be one that I was going to have a hard time walking away from. I wanted to try and write this review fresh so I woke up this morning of having only 3 and a half hours of sleep so I could wake up and finish the story.

     Let me start with how much I love and got frustrated with the main character Luke Cawley, I know I shouldn't say that because he is a broken man. Blake Austin did such a wonderful job with making me feel the emotions of a husband in mourning. I was able to feel his pain, his anger, his guilt and the love he had for his wife.  Luke is such a strong man with love and support from his family and friends but after the death of his wife, he pushed them all away. He felt as if didn't deserve this life and he simply was living one day at a time, that's until he receives a box on the one year anniversary of his wife's passing. The box contains 9 letters from his wife, her way of helping him get through his grief and find a way to move on. Even through her illness and her death his wife Emily found a way to love and put him first, through steps/ assignments each letter needing to be completed before he could read the next one. It was simple things some of them tougher emotionally than others but it was what he needed.

     It was one of the steps that Luke meets Rae Goode, it was a connection right from the start. Rae is a beautiful woman who wears her heart on her sleeve, but finds herself in bad relationships. Her smile and love for others radiates and that is one thing that draws Luke to her, it's a flirty friendship to begin with. With Luke's guilt of loving another woman and Rae not looking to fall for the wrong man (which she knows Luke is nothing like the men she has known), this relationship might never happen.

     9 Letters had me a emotional mess, with Luke remembering moments with his wife and reading each letter that would either put a smile on his face or cause more grief. I found myself tearing up and fighting back my "ugly cry". I love Luke's strong moments and his moments of weakness, his moments with Rae are fun and passionate.  Ugh!!! I find myself still tearing up still thinking about the words written by his wife. Blake Austin did such a wonderful job with his first debut. 

     Let me end my review with this and don't judge me... A man that finds a way to write rescuing a dog from a shelter in a storyline deserves 5 f*#cking stars.  I usually end my reviews with for mature readers or some sort of warning, this one is a little tough because there are some explicit language and sex scenes but not  enough to detract from the story, I found them to be added bonus.

                                                                    TEASERS:




                                      


No comments:

Post a Comment

Release Blitz for Tempting Daddy's Boss by Madison Faye

Title: Tempting Daddy's Boss Series: Innocence Claimed Series Author: Madison Faye Genre: Contemporary Romance Rel...