Books and Wine

Books and Wine

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Book Review- Sustained ( The Legal Briefs #2)

Sustained (The Legal Briefs #2)

by Emma Chase

A knight in tarnished armor is still a knight.

When you’re a defense attorney in Washington, DC, you see firsthand how hard life can be, and that sometimes the only way to survive is to be harder. I, Jake Becker, have a reputation for being cold, callous, and intimidating—and that suits me just fine. In fact, it’s necessary when I’m breaking down a witness on the stand.

Complications don’t work for me—I’m a “need-to-know” type of man. If you’re my client, tell me the basic facts. If you’re my date, stick to what will turn you on. I’m not a therapist or Prince Charming—and I don’t pretend to be.

Then Chelsea McQuaid and her six orphaned nieces and nephews came along and complicated the ever-loving hell out of my life. Now I'm going to Mommy & Me classes, One Direction concerts, the emergency room, and arguing cases in the principal's office.

Chelsea’s too sweet, too innocent, and too gorgeous for her own good. She tries to be tough, but she’s not. She needs someone to help her, defend her…and the kids.

And that — that, I know how to do.

                                                                  Favorite Quotes:

From here on out, it's dating only. I'll get to know them. I'll be goddamn choosy, no matter how unappetizing it sounds.

That a personality could have such a devastating effect on desirability. It's depressing.
My whole worldview is blown to bits.

This getting-to-know-a-woman-first shit is turning out to be a bigger hassle than I ever anticipated. Is risking contraction of an STD really such a big deal?

It's the first time she's said my name. One small syllable that makes my gut tighten. That makes me want to hear her say it again-
in a moan, a gasp. A pleasure-spiked scream.

" Are you drunk?" she whispers.
Does she really need to ask? I 
used the word sheesh-of course
I'm fucking drunk.
"Oh yeah, off-the ass drunk, I am."
Thanks,Yoda.

                                    My Review:

     While reading Sustained by Emma Chase, I found myself wanting to highlight something from every page for my favorite quotes. As you can tell, I had to cut it down to 5 quotes if not I would have posted more than half of the story. 
     This is my first Emma Chase read and from the front cover of Sustained I would have imagined this story to be hot, steamy and more of a romance with the children being the back story. Well let me tell you, it was hot, steamy and romantical. It was so perfectly written with the McQuaid kids being front and center of the story that it magnified the relationship of Jake and Chelsea.
     Where should I begin with Jake Becker, he is a intimidating defense attorney who knows what he wants and does not like complications in his life. Woman are in and out of his life and that's the way he likes it. One minute I find him to be cocky and desirable, the next minute I am swooning over every word and find him irresistible, then I want to slap him across the face for being a " dick"  and then I am back to swooning. Jake Becker can make you so mad and then you just want to wrap your arms and legs around him, I think it's because of that big heart he sometimes seems to forget he has.
     Chelsea McQuaid grabs your heart from the beginning a 26 yr old, who has to leave everything behind to raise 6 of her nieces and nephews. Never thinking twice about her decision, she just trudges on with a beautiful smile on her face. The McQuaid kids are Chelsea's world, but how much can one woman take with not having time to grieve or having time to herself? 
     A incident with one of the kids will have Jake at Chelsea's front door and their lives will never be the same. Jake's nature to protect and defend will be exactly what Chelsea needs in her life of chaos. The relationship of Jake and Chelsea will lead to some sexy, heartwarming, heartbreaking and hilarious moments. I did have the tears and breath gasping moment. I loved everything about this book and it left me wanting to know more of Jake's friends and business partners. I will definitely have to make time to read the other books from The Legal Briefs series.  

TEASERS:


                                                              
                                                    About The Author:

6551005             By day, Emma Chase is a devoted wife and mother of two who resides in a small, rural town in New Jersey. By night she is a keyboard crusader, toiling away the hours to bring her colorful characters and their endless antics to life. She has a long standing love/hate relationship with caffeine. 

Emma is an avid reader. Before her children were born she was known to consume whole books in a single day. Writing has also always been a passion and with the 2013 release of her debut romantic comedy, Tangled, the ability to now call herself an author is nothing less than a dream come true. 

No comments:

Post a Comment