Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Book Review- Pretty When You Cry

Pretty When You Cry                              

by Skye Warren



I came from a place of dirt floors and holy scriptures. They told me the world outside was full of sin, and the first night I escape, I find out it’s true. Ivan saves me, but he does more than that. He takes me. He makes me his own girl.

My conditioning runs too deep. Ivan sees what I am.

That’s the thing about showing a mouse to a cat. He wants to play. And it’s terrifying, even for me. Because the only thing darker than my past is his.


                                Favorite Quotes:

I never wanted to be pretty.
I never wanted to drive men to sin
-until that was all I had left.

They steal my breath away.
There are too many scars to count,
a patchwork quilt of pain. A
lifetime of war and abuse.


" These were a wall. I was closed off from the world. And you, you kept 
opening me up. I fought you with everything I had, but in the end, 
you vanquished me. More than these marks ever did, more than
anyone else ever could have."

Every love story is a knot, and ours is threaded with steel.

                                  My Review:

     I don't know how to begin my review for Pretty When You Cry. This storyline is dark, twisted and perverse, for some reason it drew me into a trance that I could not put it down.
The heroine in this story is Candace, with the help of her mom she escapes the religious compound, which she was raised for 16 yrs of her life. It was the realization of knowing she would be taking her mom's place to please the leader and be at his beckon call that they believed it would be better for Candace to leave and find her own way in the world.

 Candace is 16 yrs old and on her own and finds herself needing to be saved from a group of men outside of a club. Her hero turns out to be someone other men fear, one look from him and the men find themselves running away. 



     Ivan, he is dark, strong, handsome and I found to be a bit perverse (with what he liked to be called). He is the owner to one of the biggest strip clubs in town, he is taken back when he meets Candy and wants to do the right thing by calling the authorities and having her picked up. Candy begs him not to and is willing to work for him, he decides to take care of her, protect her and in his own mind claim ownership to her.
     He quickly learns that Candy cannot be owned, she lived feeling as if she was imprisoned her whole life and all she seeks is freedom, she is now 19 a star at the club and falling in love with Ivan, who she fears only wants to control her and looks at her as if she is still that 16 year old. Candy is a woman and wants to feel all those emotions of love, passion and independence.  Candace understands that she can only have that is if she leaves Ivan.
     Things start happening at the club that threaten the safety of the employees, Ivan and Candy know that the threats are coming from the religious cult leader who is looking for her.
Ugh!!! I know I have to stop before I write to much. Well, let's just say, will Ivan realize that the woman he keeps pushing away maybe the only one who can save him from his darkness?
Secrets within the religious group unfold and will Candy finally know what freedom feels like without Ivan? I could go on but I hate being a spoiler, Pretty When You Cry is twistedly erotic and will keep you wanting for more.
This is my first Skye Warren book and definitely not my last.


TEASERS:







                                                      About The Author:

 
 Skye Warren is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of dark romance. Her books are raw, sexual and perversely tender. For those new to her work, consider the bestseller Wanderlust, Prisoner or the Dark Nights series starting with Trust in Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Spotlight and Review for Everest by S.L. Scott

Title: Everest Author: S.L. Scott Genre: Contemporary Romance/Romantic Suspense SYNOPSIS From New York Times Bestselling Auth...