Books and Wine

Books and Wine

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Book Review - Captive in the Dark

Captive in the Dark ( Dark Duet #1 )
By C.J. Roberts

Caleb is a man with a singular interest in revenge. Kidnapped as a young boy and sold into slavery by a power-hungry mobster, he has thought of nothing but vengeance. For twelve years he has immersed himself in the world of pleasure slaves searching for the one man he holds ultimately responsible. Finally, the architect of his suffering has emerged with a new identity, but not a new nature. If Caleb is to get close enough to strike, he must become the very thing he abhors and kidnap a beautiful girl to train her to be all that he once was.

Eighteen-year-old Olivia Ruiz has just woken up in a strange place. Blindfolded and bound, there is only a calm male voice to welcome her. His name is Caleb, though he demands to be called Master. Olivia is young, beautiful, naïve and willful to a fault. She has a dark sensuality that cannot be hidden or denied, though she tries to accomplish both. Although she is frightened by the strong, sadistic, and arrogant man who holds her prisoner, what keeps Olivia awake in the dark is her unwelcome attraction to him.

WARNING: This book contains very disturbing situations, dubious consent, strong language, and graphic violence.

Favorite Quotes:

"I began to whimper softly, which merely grew louder with every breath. Panic in, panic out. I had been afraid of being beaten.
Now I'd let him beat me if only he'd let me go."


"He was my tormentor and my solace; the creator of the dark and the light within."


"Caleb was a strange person, cruel and inhuman; a monster, yet, at other times,he seemed capable of something like caring. He made me cry and scream and shake with fear, and nearly in a split second later he could make me almost believe he wasn't responsible for any of it. He could hold me and make me feel safe. How was that possible? I guess I am more gullible than I'd ever thought."

My Review:

Captive in the Dark is so twisted and mind blowing that I had to walk away from this book a few times. C.J. Roberts wrote the horrid torturous scenes so intense that the picture was easily painted in my mind. I found myself not crying for the prisoner, I became angry, frightened and confused.
In a book this dark I am suppose to hate the kidnapper, torturer and slave trainer Caleb. The story line makes it confusing to understand your own feelings for him, there's no wonder Olivia ( kitten) feels as if she has stockholm syndrome.
Caleb's plan is simple, he has been planning for 12 yrs to get revenge for his past and help the man that saved him when he was young and held captive also get his revenge. Caleb needs a american girl to train and sale as a sex slave to this man that he holds responsible for what he went through as a child.
He stalks this 18 year old Olivia for weeks and realizes she is the one that he needs. Livvie is strong, feisty and has a questionable sexual urge. After she is kidnapped, beaten and held prisoner  he tries to break her down every time she rebels, he never realized that his feeling for her could destroy all that he has planned. The horrible thing is that Caleb is not the only one that insist that this plan is seen through to the end.
I never once saw this as a love story, it is about two tortured souls. One that is fueled with vengeance and a appetite to inflict pain which was brought on by his past (doesn't make it right) and has never known what it is to love. The other has a need to feel loved, touched and for someone to know that she exist. The relationship of Caleb the torturer ( Master) and the prisoner Olivia  is so dark and twisted with a sinister sexual draw that is unfathomable.
Captive in the Dark had me from the first page and I will be reading Seduced in the Dark (Dark Duet #2).

                                                          TEASERS

CJ Roberts                          About the Author:
CJ Roberts is an independent writer. She favors dark and erotic stories with taboo twists. Her work has been called sexy and disturbing in the same sentence.

Her debut novel, CAPTIVE IN THE DARK, has sold over 150,000 copies and is the first of three books in her bestselling and award winning series DARK DUET.

She was born and raised in Southern California. Following high school, she joined the U.S. Air Force in 1998, served ten years and traveled the world. 

She writes short stories under the name Jennifer Roberts (http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...)

For more information, please visit the following:
Website:http://aboutcjroberts.com/index.php/b...
Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/AuthorCJRoberts
Twitter:https://twitter.com/#!/AuthorCJRoberts

No comments:

Post a Comment